Question: How can you tell if your children have bad study habits? -- Wondering
Answer: So much of the success that children have in school is due to the study habits that they have. This is true whether they are just starting school or are in college. Bad study habits eventually can lead to poor performance in school.
Why don't you have your children take the following quiz to see if they have any bad study habits? A "yes" answer to any question shows a problem or a potential problem area. If it appears that your children have several bad study habits, do not have them try to change too much all at once. Just changing one or two habits may pay big dividends in improving their study habits.
- Are you using Facebook or other social media while studying? If so, your grades are probably lower than those who concentrate on their school work.
- Do you frequently copy classmate's homework? Depending on classmates does not help you learn a subject.
- Are you a procrastinator? Leaving everything to the last minute and cramming for tests may help you pass, but it does not lead to permanent learning of a subject.
- Are you a negative thinker who does not believe that you can master certain subjects? If so, chances are you may never master those subjects.
- Do you eat while you study? Fixing and consuming food may take too much time away from your studying. Instead, fix a small snack before your study session.
- Do you try to get all of your studying done in one long study session? Short breaks can pay dividends.
- Do you take frequent breaks while studying? Too many breaks indicate a short attention span.
- Do you always study in the same place? The latest research shows that varying your study place is actually an effective way to study.
- Do you do just enough studying to get by? Even if you are doing OK, you will learn more if you find an academic challenge.
- Do you frequently study with groups of your friends? This can be an effective study habit, unless your study time is just fun with friends.