For children with reading problems, what kind of help do you recommend? - Confused


The most important part of correcting any reading problem is the testing to identify the specific reading problem or problems that need to be worked on. This testing should be done by a qualified professional, who could be a reading teacher, classroom teacher, psychologist or psychometrist.

If a child is discovered to have a very serious reading problem, like dyslexia, someone who has special training will be needed to work with him or her. Less serious problems, however, can be handled by tutors, learning centers and reading specialists. Many problems can be handled by classroom teachers. In every case, parents must make a special effort to find out what can be done at home to improve their child's reading skills. No matter what the problem is, parental help is always very important.