To get my child into kindergarten, I changed the date on his birth certificate seven years ago. I'd like to set the record straight before he gets to high school. How can I do this? Is there likely to be some legal action against me? -- Feeling Guilty


Your question is definitely unique, so we talked to several legal experts and school officials for the answer. First of all, everyone agreed that every state has laws prohibiting the altering of public documents. They also agreed that most school districts are not likely to report you to law enforcement, but there is no 100 percent guarantee of this.

You can simply go to your child's school with a legal copy of his birth certificate and ask to set the record straight. At most schools, this would be done by his counselor. The birth certificate that you falsified might or might not be in your son's cumulative file.